Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Optimist

The Optimist

The surf was pretty big, it’s true, but it was messy and blown out.  But this kid (he looked like a kid, anyway, a very tall one) was smiling as he walked down the beach.

I was a little incredulous.  There was no one else in the water, and no other cars in the parking lot with boards on their racks. 

“You think there’s anything rideable out there?” I asked.

He smiled, looked out at the water.  “Maybe not for me, but it’s more a matter of getting into the water.  It’s been a long time for me.”

I wished him luck.

If he actually stood up, I didn’t see him do it.  He tried mightily, though.

ISO 100.  70-300 G, 100mm @ f/8, 1/640

1 comment:

Seraffyn said...

I don't know why, but I get this very strong feeling that your "optimist" is Connor. I can't wait till tomorrow to ask him if he went surfing. :)

Looks like you had a great day of shooting!