Saturday, September 4, 2010

Getting Closer

I don’t know why, but it seems like I’ve been on a prolonged self-assignment to catch a Great Blue Heron at the moment it overcomes gravity.  I’ve never shown anything previously because earlier attempts were garbage, and that really gives garbage a bad name.

This isn’t “it”, but it’s the closest that I’ve come so far.

HeronLaunch

A little earlier today I saw (and caught a few frames of) a turf battle between two herons in Youngs Bay, but this one came closer to what I was hoping for.

Even at f/8 at considerable distance (I’m guessing this to be about 50 yards), depth of field is still razor thin at an effective 450mm focal length.  I wish I could trust images made at ISO 400 or more!  Soon, maybe… Sony has announced a new camera with a sensor (and entirely new technology) that intrigues me, and the replacement for the Alpha 700 is still rumored to be just over the horizon.

It’s a cropped image.  There was just too much negative space in the remaining frame.

1/400 second, f/8, ISO 100, 70-300mm “G” @ 300mm (450mm effective).  Handheld.  Developed from RAW in ACR, very minor adjustments.

No comments: