Sunday, September 16, 2012

Quiet Day at Ridgefield

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on this blog.  Stuff’s happened so often and I’ve photographed so much (some of it even good) that I just haven’t had time to keep up.

I still don’t, but I thought I’d throw these out from this afternoon.

I’d decided to stop off at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge (the “River S Section”, for those familiar with it), and see what I could find.  The series below was shot in the first few hundred yards of the loop.  The rest of the trip was amazingly quiet… very few birds around.  From what I’ve been told, this must be the calm before the storm.  Things will likely be very different in a few weeks, but at that point, we won’t be allowed to get out of our cars.

It was good to take a last walk around the trail for the season, even if it didn’t yield any photographs.

I’m not a good bird-spotter, as has been proven again and again, but I think this is an American Bittern.  When I first saw the shape through the cattails, I thought it was a Kingfisher, as it was compressed so tightly on its branch.  I couldn’t see it as clearly as shown below.  The first view through the long lens told me that that guess was wrong, but I was even more puzzled.

Bittern1

Then, it stretched out and did a little dance for me:

Bittern2

And then did a more typical pose:

Bittern3

All shot with the A77, 70-300mm G @ 300mm.  f/8, ISO 200.  Shutter speeds varied.

No comments: