Sunday, December 18, 2011

Another Sunny December Day

Saturday was too nice to stay inside and do the chores that I knew I needed to do.

I set out in search of reflections and calm and found myself in the shadow of a Chinook on approach to Astoria Regional. 

OK, I’ll follow that!

ChinookWide

Having spent a few years in aviation maintenance, I respected the flightline and shot from near the FBO until the aircraft commander walked up and said “Get as close as you like!”

He didn’t have to tell me twice.

ParkedChinook

That was cool but the crew was off to socialize with the Coasties, and there was a Jayhawk preparing for launch, so my attention was divided.

The differences between the two aircraft types is almost startling.  The Coast Guard helos are newer, of course, but even if they weren’t, there’s always been a difference in the way that the Army treats the exterior of its birds.  The Jayhawks look like hot rods, the Chinook looks like a farm truck.

Touchdown

JayhawkTaxiing

No comments: